Prayer: Hotline to Heaven
Developing Confidence in Biblical Prayer
What is prayer?
Prayer is a dialogue between two persons who love each otherGod and man. Prayer is more than words; it is an attitude and an expression of the heart toward God. Prayer is hard work. Prayer is holy work. God has a more difficult time finding people to pray than He does any other assignment.
Who does God listen to? (John 9:31)
Prayer is one of the greatest privileges God has given us. Prayer, though unseen, allows us to participate in the work of God throughout the world.
1. How seriously did Samuel take his role in prayer? (1 Samuel 12:23)
We can read about Jesus prayers throughout the four Gospels. His most famous prayer is found in Luke 11.
2. What does Jesus say is true of us? (Matthew 10:24)
3. Jesus prayed consistently. Should we pray any less?
4. According to these verses, why should we pray?
Clearly, prayer is inherently valuable to God.
5. What has Jesus been doing the past 2,000 years since His resurrection? (Hebrews 7:25)
6. What is the aroma God chooses to use as fragrance in heaven? (Revelation 5:8)
7. Who prays for us when we dont know how to pray? (Romans 8:26)
8. God is crazy about you (Jeremiah 31:3)! He wants to hear whats on your heart and wants to share His heart with you (Psalm 25:14; Isaiah 42:9; Daniel 2:22). How does this make you feel?
The average Christian spends less than one hour per week in prayer. If prayer is so important, why dont more people pray?
People dont pray because:
1. They dont know how!
2. They dont know what to say.
3. There is unconfessed sin in the persons life.
4. They dont realize what takes place when we pray.
Prayer is Powerful
1. What did these men accomplish through prayer?
2. Read Acts 12:1-18.
3. Read Ephesians 6: 10-20.
Prayer is a major way in which we accomplish Gods work in the world. God doesnt need any help! Yet, God has chosen to get His job done in the world with our help. On the worlds stage, we have a VIP backstage pass to enter the power center heavens throne room to intercede along with Christ.
We can turn on the radio, TV or read a newspaper and change that burst of information into a call to prayer.
Today you can:
Prayer releases Gods power "straight outta heaven" t o do the incredible and unexplainable.
So much of our prayer life is event- and crisis- oriented:
God desires us to experience the full benefits of a prayer life grounded in His Word and founded on His promises.
1. God always answers His childrens prayer. What are the three possible responses you may receive to your prayers?
2. In 1 John 5: 14-15, we are told to "ask anything according to His will." How should one pray according to Gods will? (Psalm 119:105)
3. What can we expect God to provide for us through prayer?
We make Gods promises our own when we believe them and put our faith to work.
1. To whom should we pray? (Psalm 5:1-2)
2. Through whom do we pray? (John 16:23-24, 1 Timothy 2:5)
3. In whom do we pray? (Romans 8:26-27, Jude 20)
We can be the answer to our own prayers or a hindrance.
4. What do we do to hinder our prayers ?
A Model for Prayer
God uniquely created each of us. We were also created to pray. Therefore, each believer has his own unique style of conversation with God. In prayer, we should follow a simple procedure but never become bound to a ritual. God is not so concerned with your words as He is with the attitude of your heart. A model you may use in your prayer times is the simple acronym ACTS: Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving, and Supplication.
A Adoration: Worship begins and ends with who God is.
C Confession: Admit your specific sin. Ask God to make you aware of sin.
T Thanksgiving: Express gratitude for everything.
S Supplication: Specific requests to God.
We live in perilous times. All around us the unsaved are dying and going to hell. Fellow believers are "walking wounded," battered by Satans blows. In the midst of all this, we have a grand privilege to use our resources of prayer to bring about healing and spiritual renaissance in the world around us. The revolution will not be televised! However, the revolution will begin quietly with usone person and one prayer at a time.